One of the questions I hear the most is, “What do I wear for an engagement shoot?” Below are a few engagement photo ideas to help you achieve the perfect look for your photos.
First things first: Be You.
On the day of the shoot if you are not wearing clothes you you would normally wear, you aren’t being yourself. The purpose of the shoot is to capture you! Go through your closet and find the clothes you wear all the time, then go through these tips to make sure they look good!
Second thing: Consider the Season
For Winter and Fall Photo Shoots Consider these Engagement Picture Outfits:
Ladies: outfits with sleeves are always flattering to arms and a good pair of boots can make any girl’s legs look great.
Gentlemen: a button down and sweater with a nice pair of jeans and dress shoes are a great go-to.
For Spring and Summer Photo Shoots Consider these Engagement Picture Outfits:
Ladies: a pop of color never hurt anyone, it photographs beautifully in color and black and white. Jewelry, a top or even shoes can add that perfect flair!
Gentlemen: button down shirts are very versatile- you can wear a sport coat, roll the sleeves, wear it tucked in or untucked so don’t be afraid to throw a few options in.
Third thing and most Important the Do's & Don'ts!
- Bring at least two outfits: one dressy outfit and one casual outfit
- Splurge on professional hair and makeup, a great artist will take you a long ways. E-mail me to learn more about my favorites!
- Splurge on a great pair of shoes (yes your feet will be in photos). Ladies, heels help you maintain better posture!
- Bring a black top. A simple, dark top allows the focus of an image to be the persons face. An added bonus of dark clothes is that they tend to be slimming. The Little Black dress is popular for a reason!
- Black not your color…Then dive into a beautiful natural dress or a long and lean cotton dress. Remember Rule #1- Be Yourself!
- Wear classic styles to prevent the photograph from looking outdated. A little black dress for women and a solid-colored suit for men will never go out of style.
- Ladies, consider a v-neck top. Turtlenecks, thick scarves and sweaters can add bulk to your appearance. V-necks and open collars elongate the neck and body and bring the focus to your face.
- Guys, consider a collared shirt. A collared shirt frames the face and can be very flattering.
- The perfect match. A solid v-neck for her, a collared shirt for him
- Always choose sleek, fitted clothes over baggy.
- Feel free to coordinate your look and wear complementary colors with others in the photo, but don’t try to match them.
- Clothes put people in context, so remember to dress for your location and theme. If you’re after a fun vibe, wear things that pop, if you want a more formal vibe, then go for a suit and dress.
- Don’t be afraid to wear things that ‘pop’ such as chunky jewelry, fun shoes, a brightly-colored blazer, a tie, a vest, sunglasses or dress hats.
- Bring your favorite items! If you like them on an every day basis, you are going to love them in photos!
- Remember to get your nails done! Especially for Engagement photo shoots, your ring will be a focus! A neutral or solid color photographs quite nicely.
- Bring props! If you have an animal, play an instrument, have a hobby, have a favorite article of clothing or just a meaningful item, bring it with you. These personal items add an extra flair to your look.
- Don’t over tan. Don't burn and Spray tans are dangerous!
- Don’t go for solid white button down shirts for the two of you. We want coordinating not matching.
- Don’t wear clothes that are too tight to avoid ending up with an ‘extra layer’ on top
- Don’t have your hair cut the day of a portrait. Schedule hair appointments at least a week in advance for a more natural look.
- Don’t forget to iron all wrinkles out. As stated above, I don't photo shop wrinkles out of every photo!